Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.


I've been reminded that it has been over a month since the last post. I thought it was so good it would take at least a month to appreciate the creative genius that went into writing it. I suppose I could be the only one that feels that way so here's what we've been up to over the last month...


First of all, the kids are doing great. Addison is talking a lot more, she's almost always in a very happy mood and she claps her hands because she knows it. Sullivan is smiling and cooing - he still isn't sleeping through the night yet and he still doesn't have any more hair than he did when he was born 12 weeks ago.



A few weeks ago, I got a promotion. My department will be expanding over the next few months and I will be supervising 4 divisions. It will be more responsibility (accountability might be more accurate) but it's a step up and will hopefully lead to other opportunites. The picture below is the banner that awaited me when I got home from my first day as Supervisor. Believe it or not - an elementary school teacher made it.






My mom came to visit last week. She helped us a lot the day Michele went back to work. I had to work day shift so it was a big help to have her come down and watch the kids that morning. "Gra-Gra" and I took Peanut to a Braves game and everyone came to my football game. My sister Jeannette also came down for a quick visit that same weekend, we all went to brunch and then she and her friend went to the Falcons game.



Peanut & Grandma



Peanut & Grandma at the Braves game



Michele has been back to work for 6 days now... only 173 to go and I'm counting. Last Monday began what can only be described as a comparison to Dante's third layer of hell. I have both kids by myself from the time they wake up until Michele gets home from work, then I go to work until midnight. It's great to have both kids if they cooperate and let me get more than six hours of sleep and cry for less than 3 hours all morning. Monday, Van cried for 4 1/2 out of 5 hours and I got about 5 hours of sleep. Right now, I am at work, it's 2am and I'm working a 12-hour shift ending at 4am. I will get home and in bed around 5 and maybe get 2 hours of sleep. Michele doesn't have it any easier, she usually has to get up for feedings twice a night, work part-time and then taking care of two kids is a full-time job in itself. Hopefully by this time next year, the kids will be able to entertain themselves a little and ease up on the screaming and crying.

*Tuesday update - It was a much better day today. No crying until 11:45 and it only lasted half an hour. He must have known daddy was wearing pretty thin.

One of the rare non-crying moments

There are times when having kids is the coolest thing ever. This past weekend I went against my rule of attending anything with the name "fest" in it and we all went to Riverfest. Shockingly enough, it was not a kayaking festival. It was like a state fair with arts and crafts. We really just went because Michele's friend recommended it being fun for the kids & had a petting zoo. It was tiring but fun - Peanut had a blast. In addition to the petting zoo, Peanut went on a pony ride, rode down a huge inflatable slide with Michele and I took her on a train ride.






Last Friday night, Michele and I went out for a date night. Oma & Opa watched the kids for a few hours while we went to a Japanese hibachi dinner and then to see the movie Eagle Eye. The movie & dinner were both great and we got to hold hands - something we rarely get to do because we're each usually carrying a kid.

Most of you are probably familiar with the show The Office. It has been on for several years and it seems like just about everyone watches it and loves it - Michele and I never got into it. I caught a few episodes last year at work and didn't think it was so great. I was told you have to watch it from the beginning and get to know the characters, so that's what we did. I rented all 4 seasons and Michele & I have been watching them all summer. The days Michele was in the hospital having Sullivan - we watched about 20 episodes. We finally watched the season finale last week - just before the new season premiere. So, as everyone else spent the summer wondering what was going to happen with Jim & Pam... we only had to wait a day. So now we're totally hooked on it and all things "Office" related. In fact, if I could go back and do it over again - I would name the kids Dunder & Mifflin. So what is the point of writing all this? Nothing really, I just wanted an excuse to use the post title - it cracks me up every time I hear it.



Last minute update* I just added the video below. It is of Peanut yesterday (Oct. 1) using a spoon to feed herself for the first time. We have been putting the food on the spoon previously and guiding it to her but she did it all by herself yesterday. She's eating cheesy grits and making quite the mess.



Finally, there are a ton of new pictures on the website - click HERE.



*note to self* Michele's birthday is this weekend, October 4th.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you stirred it? Because it doesn't looked like it's been stirred quite enough...
:)) Michele